Design and Analysis of Breeding Trials Using PBTools
This course is designed to spread an awareness of what experimental designs and analysis methods are available, and how they can be used to add value to plant breeding trials and to help address common challenges. Through a combination of lecture and hands-on exercises using the software called Plant Breeding Tools (PBTools), this course will enable participants to apply some common analysis methods and experimental designs.
The course is designed to acquaint plant breeders with the different experimental designs used in breeding trials, and with analysis of data from single and multi-environment trials. It also introduces Plant Breeding Tools (PBTools), a software with a user-friendly GUI created in Java and functions developed in the R environment to assist plant breeders in the design and analysis of data. The course employs a combination of lecture and hands-on exercises using PBTools.
- Spread awareness of what experimental design and analysis methods are available to address common challenges that can arise in field experiments and to extract the maximum value from the field trial data
- Enable participants to identify the most appropriate experimental designs for their specific needs and to create these
- Enable participants to analyze and extract useful information from single and multi-environment trials
- Enable participants to extract information about line performance and environment similarity using biplots and to gain experience applying analysis methods taught in this course to their own data
- Experimental designs used in breeding trials
- Analysis of single environment trials
- Analysis of multi-environment trials
- Introduction to biplots
- Applicants will be notified thru email if they are accepted or not.
- Participants must bring their own laptop with Windows Operating System.