Research plays a crucial role in advancing the agriculture sector and addressing its pressing problems such as climate change, land degradation, and pest infestations by introducing new technologies and innovative solutions. However, conducting research alone is not enough. To truly drive development and progress in agriculture, it is essential to ensure that research is focused on the most pressing problems and that our findings are effectively translated into practical solutions.
Thus, the Integrated Course on Research Proposal Writing and Project Management 101 aims to equip the participants with the knowledge and competencies necessary to develop an effective and data-driven project-based research proposal. This will enable the participants to actively contribute in advancing any Research for Development and Extension (R4DE) initiative. The output of the participants in this integrated course can serve as a roadmap for each project team in achieving its research and project goals.
This 8-day training course takes up the overview of research proposal writing, the initiation, planning, and the actual writing of research proposal, the basics of project management, and IRRI’s project management processes. From guiding principles, to managing the project budget, writing project reports, and project presentations, learners will be highly involved in a project report writing workshop and discussions with IRRI’s experts.
After this training, the participants will be able to:
- Define research proposal and the project management lifecycle;
- Identify the parts of a research proposal and the basic principles of project management;
- Demonstrate an understanding of project management in the IRRI context; and
- Draft a project-based research proposal.
- Introduction to Research Proposal Writing
- Initiation and Planning
- Research Proposal Writing
- Other Project Considerations
- Basics of Project Cycle Management for R4DE
- Project Management Tools and Strategies
- Project Management at IRRI
- Project Monitoring and Evaluation
- Project Work Plan Preparation
- Project Budget Preparation
- Financial Monitoring
The course will be delivered using a hybrid mode, utilizing face-to-face and online sessions using zoom platform. The participants will also be joining both on-site face-to-face and online. Online access to supplemental materials through the IRRI Education learning management system will also be provided.