Internship Training for the Philippines funded by the KOICA-UPLB-IRRI Project
The internship program will be implemented nationwide and will be open to undergraduate and graduate students, and early career researchers. Recruitment and selection of applicants will follow a competitive process. Participants of the program should be properly endorsed by the university, their institution, or company. For students, it is envisioned that this program will enable them to develop skill-sets related to their chosen area of specialization further equipping them to enter the workforce, enable them to finish their theses, and help them to build networks as they begin their journey to the professional world. For early career professionals and researchers, this program hopes to enhance specific skill sets necessary to perform their tasks more efficiently.
Successful applicants will join advanced cross-cutting research activities in bioinformatics, genomics, computer science, and other related areas – such as molecular physiology, biotechnology, marker-assisted breeding – in the Rice Breeding Innovation, Sustainable Impact In Rice-based Systems, Integrative Research Support, and other research platforms.
On the part of the university or agency from which the participants will come, this is a very good opportunity to build networks for future collaborative research activities. To ensure that each participating intern will benefit academically from the internship, the program may be divided into two parts. For students, the first part will be done in the university and may be tied with the conduct of their thesis or academic courses and for early career professionals, with their organizations and support their current tasks. In such a case, the participants with their respective adviser or supervisors should clearly indicate which portion of the work will be conducted at IRRI and its corresponding relevance and benefit to their activities as a student and as a professional.
- Must be an outstanding Filipino undergraduate/graduate student seeking careers in rice research and
related systems research or an early career researcher in the same fields.
- Students must be of Junior or Senior standing, or early graduate studies (1st year MSc).
- Early career professionals may be from the private or public sector (within the first 5 years of their
- Must be fully endorsed by his/her university or agency.
- Must be willing to do an internship with IRRI for the duration of the internship program.
- Must possess adequate proficiency in English.
- Must be enrolled in any Public and Private University or College; or employed in any government
agency, educational institution, NGO, or private company in the Philippines.
- Each applicant must complete an online application by clicking on the apply button on this page.
The application must include the following attachments for reference during the screening process:
- Application letter or expression of interest
- A 250-word essay indicating preferred research topic and justification why you selected that
particular area of research. Please indicate how you would benefit from undertaking the particular
research topic selected.
- Updated curriculum vitae (CV)
- Endorsement from the university or agency where the applicant is enrolled or employed
- For students, evidence of registration from the university where the applicant is registered
- All attachments must be submitted online with the application.
- Deadline of applications: This program is open and will run until 2026. Potential candidates are encouraged to apply as early as possible.
- A total of 120 internship slots are available for the whole program. Of these, at most 10% will be allocated to the private sector (private universities and private institutions).
- The internship duration is up to three (3) months. Specific training duration for each of the accepted interns will be discussed and finalized before the commencement of the program.
- Successful applicants will be provided with a small stipend to cover expenses during internship.